Benefits of Living in Melbourne, FL: Brevard County
As of 2015, more than 76,068 people called Brevard County’s City of Melbourne, home.
– for good reasons! See what makes Melbourne a great place to live, raise a family and even retire.
Top 7 Reasons to Live in Melbourne, FL
In comparison with the rest of the country, Melbourne’s cost of living is 11.70% lower than the U.S. average, according to Sperling’s Best Places. Residents of Melbourne never pay income tax because Florida is one of the nine states that does not have a state income tax. Naturally, this contributes to city being one of the most affordable places to live.
We have three rental properties in the city that are budget-friendly: Harvard Apartments, Harvard Condominiums, and Princeton Park. These rentals range between one and three bedrooms and $730 to $1,040 per month.
2. Nice weather.
If warm sunny weather is what your heart desires, Melbourne has it. According to Southeast Getaway, the average amount of sunny Melbourne days is 300. In any given year, the weather normally stays between 71 and 90 degrees, with it being in the 80s and 90s mostly during the day. The below weather chart shows Melbourne’s monthly weather averages to help you get a better feel of what the weather is like in Melbourne.
3. Great schools.
Melbourne offers great schools for children in all grade levels from preschool to college.
GreatSchools.org gave these elementary schools located in Melbourne a 10 out of 10 in its elementary school ratings:
- Longleaf Elementary School
- Quest Elementary School
- Suntree Elementary School
- Sherwood Elementary School
Credible area colleges include:
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Everest University
- Brevard Community College
Complete Ratings of Elementary Schools in Melbourne
Best High Schools in Brevard County
Best Elementary Schools in Brevard County
4. Plenty of outdoor activities.
There are a ton of outdoor activities for people of all ages to have fun with in Melbourne. Some of them include:
- Scuba diving
5. Attractions galore within driving distance.
Melbourne is just a short drive from these popular Florida attractions:
- Kennedy Space Center: Approximately an hour drive or less. View our apartments near NASA/Cape Canaveral.
- Disney Land: Approximately an hour and half drive or less.
- Sea World: Approximately an hour and half drive or less.
- Bush Gardens Tampa: Approximately a three hour or less drive.
6. Melbourne was once home to several popular celebrities.
Born in Melbourne, Jim Morrison of Cast Away, Darrell Hammond of Scary Movie 3, and Issac Singleton Jr. of Pirates of the Caribbean once called Melbourne their home.
Additional celebrities with ties to the city:
- Robbie Carrico - This Season 7 American Idol Contestant has lived in Melbourne.
- Bill Nelson - This United States Senator graduated from Melbourne High School in 1960.
- Bruce Bochy - This major league baseball player also graduated from Melbourne High School, but in 1973.
7. Landmarks with interesting history.
History buffs will appreciate the historic sites in Melbourne. A handful of them include:
- Front Street - In the 1880s, Front Street was popular for grocery stores and a fish house boating building.
- Gen. John B. Castleman House - This house dates back to before 1900. Gen. John B. Castleman was a veteran of the Civil and Spanish-American wars who used this house as his winter home.
- Foosaner Art Museum - especially great for families. This museum offers art classes for children and adults. As of April 2013, the museum has exhibitions on photography, printmaking, and others.
View a full listing of historic sites in Melbourne, FL or a list of top things to do in Melbourne, FL.
Have we convinced you yet? If not, let our fantastic Melbourne, FL apartment rental properties do the rest!